Peretū – Rangitoto Island Half Day Walking Tour
Walking Distance: 6km (3.7 miles) over 3 hours including lunch and breaks
Starts: 8.45 am Ends: 1.15pm approx
2019/2020 Season: Pre-booked groups of 6 people or more
Price: Adult NZD$149 Child (10 – 17) NZD$79
Experience a world of contrasts as you journey through Auckland’s largest, most diverse island sanctuary – a sacred place where you can explore the past, enjoy the present and support the future.
This is a guided walk where a specialist kaiārahi (guide) will share their local knowledge and expertise, so you can feel a part of this stunning landscape. Our guide will meet you at the wharf before leaving Auckland for Rangitoto.
Our half day walking tours are available on request for private group departures only.
If you are visiting Auckland on a cruise ship then this is an ideal way for you to experience Auckland Harbour and the gulf islands, get some fresh air and exercise while gaining an insight into Māori culture and the local Ngāi Tai people. Our tours depart from the Auckland Downtown Ferry Terminal, right next to the cruise ship berths.
- Discover the beauty of Aucklands Waitematā harbour, with a ferry to and from Rangitoto Island
- Your kaiārahi (guide) will share traditional and local stories about the newest addition to Aucklands Volcanic Ring
- Experience Ngāi Tai tikanga (customs) as you are welcomed and hosted in traditional Ngāi Tai fashion
- Walk to the summit of Rangitoto and experience 360˚ panoramic views of greater Auckland
- Marvel at the alien like lava-scapes of Rangitoto
- Learn about the cultural significance of the Islands to Iwi
- Take in the breath taking view of the other Islands in the Hauraki Gulf
- Learn about the regenerating forests, the endemic wildlife and the importance of biosecurity
- Also learn about the ‘quirkiness/ kiwiana’ of the historic bach communities on the Island.
Tailored packages are available now through to the start of the Summer season in October. Please enquire through the contact form for more information on dates and availability.
Rangitoto and Motutapu are pest free to protect wildlife so it is important to check anything you take onto the island before you leave for the ferry.
Please check all your gear for rats, mice and ants (take extra care if you have Argentine ants where you live) - backpacks and camping equipment provide an ideal place for pests to hide. Clean your footwear and remove any soil and seeds. Pack any food into sealed containers to keep pests out.
To respect the environment of the islands please do not bring any supermarket bags.
Rangitoto Island is smoke free (including vaping) and has no rubbish facilities so you must carry all rubbish off the islands with you.